From: Rick W <mrf...@frontiernet.net>
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:22:59 AM
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] PSKMail Windows server?

If PSKmail becomes popular here in the U.S., we will likely have many
more servers than at present. Something that has been lacking with all
other systems is the minimal use of the lower bands for NVIS operation.
As long as there is a path close to (but not exceeding) the MUF, the
signal quality will often be the best, but the longer paths may not be
open, when shorter ones are open most of the time.

We have at least one group here in my state that attempts to use an 80
meter 300 baud packet BBS but I know they have a lot of retries and
probably time outs with the messages not always getting through on NVIS.
This means that other protocols need to be developed since PSK250 is
probably no better and maybe not quite as good as 2FSK300?

Another thought .... is it possible to use PSKmail on VHF? It would seem
like a good fit for moderate distance communication, local to maybe 100
miles? Maybe even with FM and vertical polarization, which 99% of active
hams already have available? Has anyone tried this in EU or other parts
of the world?