John,

 > ALE400 is not the best mode for this, not because it is a poor mode, but
 > because the user interface is very difficult to use and has turned
off many
 > potential operators.

Is it difficult to use? I have honestly not found this to be true. I
agree it is very different than what someone who is used to classical
Windows apps might expect but it is not difficult.

In many ways it is easier and faster to switch modes & options than
DM780. And performance wise there is little that can hold a candle to it.

I am sure the real reason people don't learn this fine program is that
many of us these days have a "market-driven" preconception regarding
aesthetics and anything not fitting in with that viewpoint is passed
over quickly, especially if actual use of one's brain is required too.

The same applies to the homebrew vs. appliance debate.

I know you use MultiPSK John so the comments above are not directed at
you (or anyone personally) but are just a general observation.

 > I always look at these modes with a view of using them for emcomm
traffic,
 > and in doing so they have to be able to be used by inexperienced hams who
 >
 > might be on the second shift. operators only. The software has to be
"bomb
 > proof" and not require any extensive computer knowledge to run it.

Isn't the real problem here the "inexperienced hams"?

I understand that this is probably the reality you have to deal with
these days but couldn't a greater focus on efficient digimode training
in emcomm groups mitigate this problem?

Sholto
K7TMG