John VE5MU wrote:

> I live at a higher latitude than many folks There are times up here that
> nothing will
> decode PSK despite the fact the band is open and active.

I'm very glad you brought this up to the group John. High latitude path
distortion is one of the best examples of why we should use and appreciate the
more robust modes more often; especially Olivia and it's derivatives.

We all see the same instability on the majority of signals coming over the pole
regardless of ones location (obviously more common in your case) and it's also
quite common on low-latitude (spread-F) paths.

Even a small amount of ionospheric "agitation" can cause throughput problems.
Spread-F, multipath and other types of ionospheric instability can happen
anywhere, anytime.

This seems to confuse some PSK operators in that they can't understand why the
print is so bad when signals are so strong. The phase meter is a good indicator
of instability; the spokes in the meter tend to deviate wildly instead of
staying straight and vertical.

I recently had a QSO with JA1RZD on MFSK16 and I captured his QSO with another
station just a few minutes later on PSK31. I think the text below speaks for
itself. Path distortion was moderate, but was enough to cause problems with the
narrow mode.

I think PSK31 is a superb spectrum friendly, weak signal mode. But like other
narrow modes it cannot overcome certain types of path instability as well as
others.

Thanks for mentioning this John. I hope others take the time to switch modes
now and then to overcome some of the path issues we run into. Good reason to
experiment and become familiar with other modes.

Tony -K2MO

(JA1RZD on MFSK16)

K2MO K2MO de JA1RZD JA1RZD

Roger Tony.  Tnx for the report.

The WX here is fine and temp is 7 C.

Here is my setup:
Transceiver :
IC-746 with IC-PW1 amp at
250 watts on PSK31
350 watts on MFSK
700 watts on RTTY
Antenna    :
Five element tribander for 20, 15, 10 meter bands
and add on rotary dipole for 40 m.
Four element dual bander for 17 and 12 meter bands
Software   : MMVARI by JE3HHT
Interface : Home brew
PC           : Celeron CPU 2GHz, RAM 1GB

I would like to exchange QSL cards via the bureau.
If you cannot use the bureau, send me your card durectly.
I am OK on QRZ.com.

BTU K2MO Tony de JA1RZD KN

K2MO K2MO de JA1RZD JA1RZD

Tnx for the Contact, Tony.  I hope to see you soon on the air.
Thank you very much for the QSO.
Best 73 and Sayonara from Tokyo Japan.
K2MO Tony de JA1RZD sk ....

CQ CQ CQ CQ DX DE JA1RZD JA1RZD JA1RZD
Q CQ CQ CQ DX DE JA1RZD JA1RZD JA1RZD
CQ CQ CQ CQ DX DE JA1RZD JA1RZD JA1RZD  Pse kkk

(JA1RZD on PSK31)

DX DE JA1RZD JyyRZD JA1RrtD
CQ rCQ CQ a a  D. JA1RZD  fn yRZD JAs RZD
CQ Ct CQ Cm  1X DE JA1"CD JA1R= - JA1kZD  Pseepkk
anr
n e kRe ea ti  e -Vet:       pis o o e =  v,g    noto  mi_ e.ee)nee.ht
QR} zRZ QRZ7e J
?RZa  1Rtel  JeÉRZk k

W9NCQ de JA1RZD JA1R dD?
Good a
ternoon 'a.
lhank yqu ve msch fo  your seply.
Yout sigdl R-Q ns E49  u4949.
Mame is ben Ken KeeKen.
My QTH is Nisö Tok
o City, Nisé Toky ity, Nishi ToFyo City,
×t 2) km west of central Tokyo.
G etd Lonator is PM95sr  wae9tesr

BTU WVNCW  de JA1ROV KNÄti eÏZhe e on n Ae