On Oct 31, 2009, at 8:09 PM, Charles Brabham wrote:

> I've tried out Ubuntu and Puppy linux ( on different machines ) and
> had no major problems with either of them. I like DSL Linux too.
>
> I've got to admit though that working with Linux is like wearing
> cowboy boots - the best part of it is at the end of the day when you
> take them off ( go back to using Windows ).
>
> It's interesting to do things differently and I like that, but the
> performance just isn't there with Linux. In the end, doing things
> with a good Windows box is always faster, easier, more certain and
> more reliable.

This is really subjective. I, personally, find lots of performance
present with linux, as opposed to Windows. I favor UNIX over Windows,
electing to use Linux, HP-UX and Apple's OS X. For me, Windows is used
only as a last resort, for one or two ham apps that I haven't found
elsewhere (eg, g4ilo's morse machine).

The OP may similarly find that linux is like a fine pair of lamb's
wool slippers that one never wants to take off. ;)

Once you've become familiar with linux, you might consider installing
a linux tailored for embedded systems such as openWRT
(www.openwrt.org) on a linksys router (eg, wrt54g) and start playing
with high speed multimedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Speed_Multimedia
). Linux opens many doors not available to Windows.

> If you are in the mood to tinker though, Linux is much much better
> than Windows for that. - It's most definately a learning experience,
> which is not so bad at all.
>

> 73 DE Charles Brabham, N5PVL

robert