Suppose you think a desired station is on a frequency with his/her
FLARQ station active .  You think that perhaps the  station is set to
PSK250 and you know that conditions are way too poor for a PSK250
exchange .  If that station has RS ID on receive activated (and we all
know we should  always do this, right? ) you can switch the desired
station over to a more suitable mode.  If you send an RS ID, that
should change the other station too  (it actually depends on their
settings, but it is possible. ) .  You don't get any confirmation that
the other station successfully changed modes though.  It is possible
that if conditions are poor the RS ID will not be detected.  I usually
send the RS ID three times just as a precaution.  Then , using FLARQ,
enter the desired call sign in the little callsign box and press
"connect".  FLARQ will use the mode you established and try an ARQ
conenct with your desired station.  If connected, you can send the
email or file and even have a keyboard chat via the "plain talk"
feature.