I used a Radio Shack scanner and tapped the demodulator (MC3359) output
to an scope.
Used another synthesized radio to calibrate, first on channel (0 Hz
difference...hopefully), then 5 kHz up and 5 kHz down.
It gives proper reference to baseline and peak to peak deviation.

Then modulate the radio you are calibrating so peaks do not go beyond
calibration.
It is IMPORTANT that you do not clip the audio and preserve proper
preemphasis.

John Ackermann's www.febo.com had a good explanation about caring for
Layer 1 on packet.

I did not have the fine instruments he had and devised my own way. It works.

73,

Jose, CO2JA

James French escribió:
> On Monday 16 November 2009 08:10:08 Andy obrien wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the feedback guys.  I will play around with the settings...once I
>> find a person to contact on 2M.
>>
>> Andy K3UK
>>

>> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Tony <d...@optonline.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Andy,
>>>
>>> I believe you have a Kenwood TS2K(?). If so, there is a way to control the
>>> digital mode audio level on FM. If you're feeding the audio through the
>>> microphone connector, menu 41 has a low, medium and high setting. If your
>>> using the 13 pin DIN plug, the audio input can be adjusted via menu # 50.
>>>
>>> Tony -K2MO
>>>

> Andy,
>
> If you have done packet at the start of the packet craze back in the late
> 80's,
> you probably would remember that AEA (at the time) came out with a nice
> FM deviation meter that was used to determine if you were over modulating
> your signal. Don't remember the model number as it has been a LONG time
> since I have even seen one..:)
>
> Do a google search for 'FM deviation meter' and you'll come up with a few
> nice links for either building your ownmeter or modifying a Motorola Maxtrak
> to use along with some test equipment for checking your deviation. I think
> the Maxtrak idea is probably going to be the simplest and cheapest way to
> do it.
>
> MFJ makes a 2m FM signal Analyzer, the mfj-224. A little pricey at 180 dollars
> but the manual says it has a output that goes to a scope to monitor.
>
> The top three google links for 'FM deviation meter' are the what I am refering
> to for the above.
>
> Hope this helps some. If you were on SSB, I would give it a try as we are only
> roughly 200 miles apart across Lake erie.
>
> James W8ISS

Participe en Universidad 2010, del 8 al 12 de febrero de 2010
La Habana, Cuba
http://www.universidad2010.cu

SEGUNDO SEMINARIO INTERNACIONAL LEGADO Y DIVERSIDAD. ARQUITECTURA Y URBANISMO.

El rescate de los valores urbanos y arquitectónicos en tiempos de
globalización

Colegio de San Gerónimo, La Habana Vieja, noviembre 24-27, 2009

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: