On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 11:07:39AM -0700, Alan Wilson wrote:
> I'd have to go with the Yaesu ft-857D, it does it all with a small
> footprint, reasonable price and very dependable.

+1

Make sure it's the 857D, not the base FT-857; some of the base 857s have
a problem with runaway oscillation on 6m, as I found out the hard way,
but I've never had a problem with my 857D.

If you get the optional all-in-1 hand mike, you can control everything
on the radio except squelch level with the mike.

The FT-857D works very well with Ham Radio Deluxe and with MixW, too.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, you can get the FT-897D, bit
brother to the FT-857D. The menu system is very similar, it can use that
same all-in-1 hand mike, and you can run it through HRD and MixW, too.

Both radios use the same programming software, too. Nice rigs.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mi...@mikea.ath.cx