Read this with some interest as I hate using the macros OTHER than for
helping call CQ to make contacts.

Had my first digital QSO this last CW sweepstakes on CW actually at about 15
wpm. Was just testing out the set up as we hadn't had time to do anything
before the contest to check out things. Had a real nice ragchew with a stat-
ion in New Mexico doing about 20wpm and I was keeping up with no problem with
my hunt and peck three fingers typing at all.

I have had one other contact on PSK 31 after that one and was able to keep up
with no problem there also. Maybe I am a better three finger hunt and pecker
than most, but I don't see a reason for the macros personally unless you have
a problem understanding the language the other person normally uses.

I will grant that macros are good for two things: calling CQ and to also make
quick contacts with DX stations if you know the format they want beforehand
to make the contact easier and quicker.

I'll also admit that I do like to have a nice ragchew before a DX one-time
contact. In my opinion, DXpeditions on HF are there just for the QSL chasers
and not for those of us whole like to test our capabilities to have a contact
over a given time and distance. So far, I haven't gotten beyond Alaska and
Hawaii over the past year that I have been arranging operating times and
contesting schedules for the club Station here in Ann Arbor, MI (W8PGW and
WC8RC) but the bands haven't been open when I operate either...:(

BTW, what has been everyones luck on 160 meters for those that operate there?
Any digital (other than CW) activity there?

James W8ISS

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: