Dave,

The 'Unun' theory is well known and used, but to my knowledge, not
usually on long Verticals - In this case an effective length of 75 feet
high, the way I have wound the vertical 75ft wire spirally around the 36
ft pole.

The construction of long-wire antennas with a Unun is simple, both
electrically and mechanically, with no critical dimensions or
adjustments.

When using a Unun, a 9:1 will match 450 Ohms to 50 Ohms,  a 6:1 will
match 300 to 50 Ohms,  a 5:1 will match 250 to 50 Ohms and a 4:1 will
match 200 to 50 Ohms.

The long-wire antenna using a Unun will work well and give satisfactory
gain and directivity over a frequency range up to twice the value for
which it was cut.  In addition, it will accept power and radiate it
efficiently on any frequency for which its overall length is not less
than 1/2 wavelength.   Mine is worse than useless on 80 and 160!

My main inspiration came from this little article...

  http://www.m0ukd.com/Magnetic_Long_Wire_UnUn/index.php
<http://www.m0ukd.com/Magnetic_Long_Wire_UnUn/index.php%20>

Sorry to travel so far 'Off Topic' on the Group, I started this as a
response to posts on long distance or DX Digital contacts during this
current propogation 'Low' Topic.        However, I feel sure that the
subject is close to many amateurs list of favorite topics.   Also - It
is a 'Time-Served' privilege for those of us over 75 to 'Ramble on' -
without any idea what we are talking about!

73's de

John (G3OBU)

http://www.John4Music.TV <http://www.John4Music.TV>

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Dave Ackrill <dave.g0...@...>
wrote:

> obrienaj wrote:
> > John,
> >
> > I read with interest your web pages describing your vertical
antenna.  Please keep us informed on how it does on digital mode DX.  I
had to look twice at what I thought was a balun at first.