"Are people giving up on other stuff ?"

Let me don my Captain Obvious cape for a moment....

No, it is just that there is only small of percentage that will get on
the air and call CQ in the less popular modes consistently and with the
aid of RSID in their xmissions.

If you get on the air and call CQ using some of the less popular modes
that are in DM 780 AND USE RSID IN YOUR TRANSMISSIONS, you will get
replies. My success rate is 100% for one QSO and about 90 % for making 5
QSOs in an evening.

If its your desire to those modes that offer very low throughput in
hopes to improve the chances of weak signal contacts, and if you want
to work as many stations as you can in an evening, then you must do away
with macros optimized for the faster digital modes and use CW shorthand
as much as possible in you transmission.  If you feel you don't know
enough CW abbreviations - just wing it.  I generally will reply like
this:

w1rom de ka1gmn ge om rsq 579 579 op phil phil qth tx tx btu de ka1gmn

or

w1rom de ka1gmn ge tu 579 579 phil phil tx tx btu de ka1gmn

and

de ka1gmn wx clr es sunny temp 50s btu jim de ka1gmn

and

rr jim bst 73 frm tx w1rom de ka1gmn sk

Many ops are looking to get their first time contact on say, THOR4 or
Contestia 8/125, are not looking for a QSO. The are looking for op, qth,
and signal report. If the condx are good then switch up to the higher
data rate. If you and the station are using RSID in you xmissions, you
will not have a problem.

I am not trying to tell an op how to run his or her station.  These are
techniques that have work for me and I have the logs to prove it. Modes
like BPSK, QPSK, CONTESTIA, DOMINOEX, OLIVIA, THOR, and THROB all offer
a range of data rates to satisfy those who are in to long QSOs to those
work just want to as many station as possible.

You have to get on the air, call CQ and you use RSID (sometimes video
ID) in your xmissions.

philw de ka1gmn