Patrick, thank you for your kind note.

I discovered, as you have known for a long time, that testing RTTY is not
easy because of random figures/letters shifts.  As you said, a single
inappropriate shift can mess up a lot of characters!  That makes the
statistics difficult.

My test text file is at
http://mysite.verizon.net/wz7i/Text%20file%20for%20testing%20communications%20software.html

I used call signs and about 30% five number groups to try to deal with this
issue.  I tested with UOS off because of the number groups.  It may be that
I should have used a shorter file and then tested it with different audio
files a number of times to get reasonable statistics but that seemed too
much work... chuckle...  The error bars on the graph might have been
significant.  Instead I tried to run a long enough text file to average out
all the random shifts.  It probably wasn't long enough to try to analyze the
data too closely.

I, too, tested with AFC off.  I used the audio frequencies used for FSK so
that is a difference.  Our audio levels were about the same -- 40% sounds
about right.

As I said earlier, it is possible that I have incorporated some error in my
methods.  It is possible that I am "straining at gnats and swallowing
camels"   :-)

Thank you for your patience with me.

73 de Wes, WZ7I