Real-time is not about performance, but about predictability ;) I have to be sure that my flowgraph always executes before the deadline is hit. So everything that introduces jitter is a no-no.
In general, Gnu Radio executes on general-purpose OSes, which means that there will *always* be microsecond-to-milllisecond scale jitter in executing code. If you want 100s-of-nanosecond to microsecond scale execution timing predicability, Gnu Radio is going to be the least of your worries, in my experience. The kernel can prempt you at any time to deal with interrupts, etc.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator