On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Michael Dickens <m...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2013, at 9:41 AM, Michael Dickens <m...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> > On Jan 8, 2013, at 4:35 PM, Johnathan Corgan <johnat...@corganlabs.com>
> wrote:
> >> GNU Radio release 3.6.3 is available here:
> >
> > For Mac OS X GNU Radio users: This morning (1/9) I updated the MacPorts'
> install to this release ("gnuradio") as well as the latest GIT master
> ("gnuradio-devel") and next ("gnuradio-next").
>
> I forgot to mention: MacPorts' boost port is currently at 1.52 -- the
> latest release -- which has bugs in the way it handles threads, does not
> work with GNU Radio (and, it seems, many other projects), and hence has
> been removed from the GNU Radio acceptable versions.  The fix is already in
> place for 1.53, but this release has not yet been made.  Thus, in the mean
> time you can manually reinstall 1.51, or activate any version of boost from
> 1.35 to 1.51.
>
> Follow these commands to manually reinstall 1.51:
>
>   cd ~/Desktop
>   mkdir tmp_boost
>   cd tmp_boost
>   svn co -r 98466
> http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports/devel/boost
>   cd boost
>   sudo port build
>
> You can add variants after "build" if you want; just make sure that those
> variants are also added after the "install" command below.  Assuming the
> build succeeds, then do:
>
>   ff=`port installed boost | sed -e "1d" -e "s@(active)@@g"`
>   sudo port -f deactivate $ff
>   sudo port install
>
> and, remember to add any variants from "build" above after "install".  You
> can clean up this install via:
>
>   cd Desktop
>   sudo rm -rf tmp_boost
>
> Once this install or boost succeeds, you should be ready to go with
> installing and/or using GNU Radio in MacPorts.  If one of the GNU Radio
> ports is already installed, it should now "just work" without having to be
> reinstalled.
>
> Remember to not upgrade boost until 1.53 is available via MacPorts.  I
> hope that Boost 1.53 will be released soon, to take care of this issue
> (and, I'm sure, others).  If you are using MacPorts and have questions
> about this, feel free to ping me. - MLD

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

I didn't have macports installed so I started from scratch. I installed
macports, then boost 1.51 according to your instructions. Then I try to
install uhd before gnuradio:

sudo ports install uhd +libusb

and that installs boost 1.52 :(

If you have any advice for what I should do before continuing with
gnuradio, please let me know.

Alex