On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Johnathan Corgan <johnat...@corganlabs.com>
wrote:

> Richard, you're getting the right version.  The 3.7.7.1 string is an
> artifact of how git describe searches backward for the latest annotated tag
> in order to come up with a description.
>
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Richard Bell <richard.be...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, I have to resurrect this thread. I'm still not able to get
>> the version of gnuradio installed that allows me to use control ports. When
>> I use the master/head branch, which is the default as Tom said when you
>> clone the repo, after cmake completes, it tells me this:
>>
>> -- Building for version: v3.7.7.1-154-g7ee2f91d / 3.7.8git
>>
>> Is the 3.7.7.1-154-xxx what I keep seeing as the version in GRC, while
>> the 3.7.8git is the version of the underlying source code? If so, is this
>> what I should be installing to use control ports and if not, what should I
>> be checking out before I compile the gnuradio source?
>>
>> Here is what happens when I run a flowgraph with a 'CtrlPort Performance
>> Monitor' included:
>>
>> Using Volk machine: avx_64_mmx
>> ControlPort Monitor running.
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/home/rbell/Documents/tsv/production/bpsk/sbpsk_loopback.py",
>> line 1057, in <module>
>>     (tb.blocks_ctrlport_monitor_performance_0).start()
>>   File
>> "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/ctrlport/monitor.py", line
>> 48, in start
>>     print "monitor::endpoints() = %s" % (gr.rpcmanager_get().endpoints())
>> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'endpoints'
>> ctrlport.monitor received shutdown signal
>>
>> Today I uninstalled gnuradio, searched my computer for anything gnuradio
>> related and removed it (minus some custom blocks that i've created that I
>> assume won't mess with an install) and reinstalled uhd and gnuradio from
>> source. I am fairly certain I don't have a conflicting versions problem.
>>
>> v/r,
>> Rich

As Johnathan said, you've got the right version. Now you need to make sure
that ControlPort is getting built and installed correctly with Thrift.

When you run cmake, you will see a list of enabled components. You should
see as part of this:

* gr-ctrlport
  * thrift

That'll let you know that you are building ControlPort and the Thrift
backend for it. If you've already installed it, you can check with:

$ gnuradio-config-info --enabled-components
python-support;testing-support;doxygen;sphinx;gnuradio-runtime;gr-ctrlport;*
thrift;gr-blocks;gnuradio-companion;gr-fec;gr-fft;gr-filter;gr-analog;gr-digital;gr-dtv;gr-atsc;gr-audio;*
alsa;* oss;*
jack;gr-comedi;gr-channels;gr-noaa;gr-pager;gr-qtgui;gr-trellis;gr-uhd;gr-utils;gr-video-sdl;gr-vocoder;gr-fcd;gr-wavelet;gr-wxgui;gr-zeromq

You can see the "gr-ctrlport;* thrift" -- which tells you the same info as
cmake.

One thing, though, I've just pushed a couple of fixes for
ControlPort/Thrift support. So when you rebuild, make sure you're pulling
down the latest master.

Tom