Huh, can you verify portaudio is in the output of "gnuradio-config-info
--enabled-components" ?

Can you add another section,

[audio_portaudio]
verbose = true

Just to verify: you're using the "[..]" section headers correctly, and
the rest of the conf file looks ungarbled, right?

We might be encountering a case where the config file simply isn't read;
as a quick test:
Close all gnuradio-companions, add

[grc]
canvas_default_size = 100,100

to that file, and open up the companion – your canvas size should now be
100x100px. Is that the case?

Best regards,
Marcus