I think I'm making progress with your help Marcus.

The output of "gnuradio-config-info --enabled-components" is:

python-support;testing-support;volk;doxygen;sphinx;gnuradio-runtime;gr-ctrlport;gr-blocks;gnuradio-companion;gr-fec;gr-fft;gr-filter;gr-analog;gr-digital;gr-dtv;gr-atsc;gr-audio;*
portaudio;*
windows;gr-channels;gr-noaa;gr-pager;gr-qtgui;gr-trellis;gr-uhd;gr-utils;gr-video-sdl;gr-vocoder;gr-fcd;gr-wavelet;gr-wxgui;gr-zeromq

What does the '*' before portaudio mean?

I think you are also correct in that it appears my config.conf file is not
being read.  GRC created a ~/.gnuradio directory and populated it with a
grc.conf file and prefs directory.  I created a config.conf file in the
same directory.  Adding the [grc] stanza seems to have no effect.  I also
tried changing the canvas size in the "c:/Program
Files/GNURadio-3.7/etc/gnuradio/conf.d/grc.conf" file, which I think is
supposed to be the system-wide file, but changes there have no effect
either.  Is there a way for me to figure out what configuration files are
being read?

Tony Richardson