On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 1:50 PM Brashendeavours <brashendeavo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thank you, Kevin. That is reassuring.
>
> My next question then, is since the deviation is affected by both
> amplitude and frequency, how would you recommend I empirically
> determine/set a peak deviation of 2400Hz for 1200Hz baseband?
> Is this experiment not possible to visualize/determine on a waterfall,
> simply?

 I think your confusion may be that deviation != occupied bandwidth.

If the sensitivity on the FM mod block is (2*pi*2400)/(48000), and the
sample rate is 48k, then the maximum deviation is 2.4kHz provided the
baseband signal does not exceed +/- 1. You can verify this by making the
baseband input a very low frequency sine wave, say 0.1 Hz. Viewed in the
waterfall you should then see the carrier move between -2.4 and +2.4kHz.

To determine the bandwidth occupied by the FM signal, you can use the
Carson bandwdith rule, which says the bandwidth required is the peak
deviation _plus the highest baseband frequency_, times two.