Ross Wm. Rader wrote on Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:16:19 -0500:

Two late comments.

> Let's assume that all the facts are in - what data did the gaining
> registrar rely on to start the transfer? The point that people tend to
> miss in these discussions is that someone must have given some level of
> authorization much earlier in the game.

But isn't authorization that what these people and a registrar who might be
willing to help them (speculation) care about the least? I know that many
registrars accept a faxed statement of ownership for starting a transfer. That
is easily done, don't you think? Do you remember how Tucows lost the ebay.de
domain last year to a hijacker? There was *no* check before starting the
transfer on the gaining registrar's side.
Everywhere else if you want something you have to prove to the current
owner/maintainer that you are allowed to get it. But with the new domain
transfer policy that confirmation is done against the new registrar. This is
weird. I know it is supposed to ease transfers of domains from unwilling
registrars, but at the same time places a high risk of something going wrong
on the whole procedure.
And, is it really true that it eases transfers from unwilling registrars away?
This only works if those registrars stop playing foul. Why should they do so?
There weren't any sanctions from ICANN against them during the last years, so
why should this be different now? Does somebody can tell facts about this?
That transfers from Enom, NetSol et.al. are now easier than a year ago?

> Transfer Lock is your friend.

Transfer Lock and .info domains are *not* friends :-(

Kai

--
Kai Schdtzl, Berlin, Germany