>>Just because a customer is stupid and fills out the "renewal notice" and
returns it to DROA and then gets upset and says they didn't initiate the
transfer doesn't make it true.  What it does mean is that the customer is
stupid.  But DROA plays by the rules.>>

Yes, DROA may play by the rules. What that tells me is that the rules should
be changed to disallow the method they are using to slam domains. I am also
quite sure that there will be a special place in Hell for people that do
business as they do, so they will get theirs.

What % of customers that 'renew' their domains with DROA understand that
they are transferring the domain away from their current Registrar?

When this was first occurring a couple years ago, we found that out of the
first 50 domains that DROA attempted to transfer, only 1 client understood
that they were transferring away from us. Yes, customers may be stupid, but
the transfer process should take this into account.

I am sure that someone is going to say that we should educate our customers
better. Yes, we can do a better job of education, but something is clearly
wrong when a company's entire business model is built on tricking potential
clients into misunderstanding the domain renewal/transfer process.

We have locked all domains, so this no longer happens on a regular basis. We
have since gone to a management system that locks domains on registration
and transfer in. We also do not have customers unlock domains to make
changes; our system transparently unlocks domains, makes changes and then
relocks the domains for them.

-AL