Quoting Marc Paré:

I understand that perfectly well. I am a teacher and school boards are
comparable to major corporations, I sit on an IT
committee (software acquisition) and we talk often about migration. But, the
question of IT support for OS and software
is a large issue. They are more and more interested in the financial savings
though. I think that this will eventually
lead them to migration, the $$$ is just too attractive.

The difference is of course that public authorities don't have to make a profit while corporations do. Corporations also tend to think short term, so an immediate retraining cost is more important than possible long term savings. On the other hand, financial savings are likely to be a major impetus for public authorities as their belts are increasingly tightened.

P.