On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 22:09 +0100, Peter Rodwell wrote:
> I answered a posting from Ernst W. Winter:
>
> > Yes sounds good. How did the city of Munich change 14,000 PC to OOo?
>
> with a somewhat cursory "I don't know" but the question piqued my interest.
> A few minutes' Googling came up with the answer: It didn't.
>
> Reports (e.g., at
> http://blog.worldlabel.com/2009/limux-where-the-munich-linux-revolution-is-today.html)
> show that only 80% of the city's 14,000 PCs will have been changed to open
> source by
> 2012 - that's EIGHT YEARS after the project was given the green light.
>
> To be fair, Oo was only a small part of the changeover, which involved an
> upfront
> cost of €13 million for LiMux, a special version of Linux. The council says
> that's
> €2 million MORE than it would have cost to upgrade from Windows NT4 to XP,
> but their point wasn't short-term financial saving -- they were more
> concerned about
> being tied to a single supplier.
>
> While a city council can apparently afford to spend this time and taxpayer's
> money
> changing to open source, no corporate CFO would even consider it.

Some have done. Ernie Ball Guitar strings is one famous case. We are
small but we did it :-)

So I'd say few rather than no CFOs. But we know all that anyway.

Personally, I'm quite happy for Windows to act as a giant magnet pulling
all the malware away from my company :-). I just checked an e-mail
attachment supposedly sent from DHL. .exe file so some Windows malware
or other. Do we really want that stuff targeting Linux any sooner than
necessary? :-)

--
Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications