On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 21:03 +0000, Caolán McNamara wrote:

> As far as I know, GNOME, KDE, Linux kernel and the GIMP along with
> masses of the little projects that makes everything work, typically get
> along fine without copyright assignment, though some have quirks like
> optional copyright assignment.

A basic principle is don't put in any barriers to take up unless they
are really, really, really essential.

That principle applies to software to end-users AND to developers AND to
other volunteers. Even getting access to contribute to the OOo web site
was a complicated pain and I gave up on it about 5 or 6 years ago.

If we want community volunteers make it as easy as possible to
participate, if we want a lot of users of the software make it easy for
them to take it up - eg get it on as many future devices as the default
as possible.

--
Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications