Hi Marc,

2010/12/2 Marc Paré <m...@marcpare.com>

> Le 2010-12-02 02:29, Jean-Baptiste Faure a écrit :
> >> Although a good idea, I would still like to see an installer do this
> >> rather than the language pack.
> > Hmm, on MS-Windows language packs are installed by an installer in the
> > same way as the core application.
> > The difference is that this installer is localized. There is nothing to
> > add in the language packs, only to modify them in order they are able to
> > drive the installer of the core application.
> >
> > Best regards
> > JBF
> >

> Ah .. I am just looking at the language packs for linux distributions.
> Could anyone on the list explain how users install language packs on LO
> (I'm using the .rpm version as reference point here). It looks like they
> come in a ".tar.gz" file and when uncompressed a folder is created with
> a lot of .rpm files. There doesn't seem to be an installer that comes
> along with them and the user is left to use console to install. It this
> right?

Why ship an installer, when it is preferred to use the package manager from
your Linux distribution? For Mandriva (on the console) do the following:

- go to the directory that has all the rpm packages
- su
- (enter password)
- urpmi *.rpm

That installs all packages in the necessary order, you don't have to do
anything else.

As alternative, it should also be possible to use the gui:

(I did not test this, but it should be easily doable)

- Use konqueror / nautilus / dolphin or any other file manager, change into
the folder, that has all your rpms you want to install
- Mark all the files you want to install
- Do a right click and choose "Open with Software installer"
- Enter your root password in the popup
- Installation should be done automatically.

[...]

Sigrid