----- Original Message ----

Only the latest discussion has focused around Linux. It hasn't been the only OS
discussed or assumed.

> 3. You presume they can all grab tar's themselves. They  can't.
> 4. You assume they will all download the package. They  won't.

That should always be an option, regardless of whether people avail themselves
of it.

> Installers are needed because (1) you can adapt an installer to  manage
> installation on all the systems people *will* be using, such  as
> Windows XP, Vista, Win7 and - for some - either 32-bit or  64-bit
> versions; Linux using Debian-based or other installers and (2)  those
> who have no standard installer system included; Android users and  even
> Apple users (3) who want something that installs like an app  does;
> even, despite the undoubted acrimony, Solaris users.
> Finally  (4), there will be those users who buy a preconfigured or even
> standard  virtualised system from a supplier and want both the supplier
> provided system  and the discs to fix any problems - and for that you
> want a packaged product  with installer and repair system to put on disc.
> While an installer may  not be the top priority, it is undoubtedly a
> very important feature that  needs to be present to reach the widest
> number of  users.

An Installer only helps on Windows.

Solaris has a packaging system; nearly all Unixes have a packaging system.
Linux Distros have their own packaging systems.

Fortunately, TDF/LO can focus on providing 3 Linux packages: debian, rpm,
slackware, source tarball
Nearly every Linux distro will provide its own package according to its own
packaging system; but those above will meet everyone else.

Most non-Developer Linux Users only install what is in or is compatible with
the
packaging system their distro uses.

Mac also has a packaging system which is pretty much a zip file with all the
relevant files contained therein. (Not really, that's just a good simplified
description.)
All Mac targeted software is installed that way - the exception likely being
the
OS and its relations (e.g. drivers). That is simply the Mac-way and Mac users
will expect that.

iOS and Android are not being targetted (from what I can tell) and  LO/OOo
would
be far too big for them right now any how. They also each  have a standard
method of installation - the AppStore and Android  MarketPlace. So again, no
separate installer is necessary there.

So, really the _only_ platform an installer is really necessary on is Windows,
which is the _only_ platform without a standard packaging system or
installation
method.
Yes, Windows has the Microsoft Windows Installer System (MSI files), but it's
still never had a standard installation method.

Ben