----- Original Message ----

> From: Robert Derman <robert.der...@pressenter.com>
> I  remember that optical disks started to replace floppies in about 1995
>because  Win-95 came either way.  Win-98 was CD only.  I will admit that DVD
>burners didn't become affordable until about 2005, but most of what I built in
>
>2000 through 2004 had either a CD burner and a DVD read only, or from 2003 on
>combo drives, CD burn, DVD read only.  But my point here is that 2004 and
>older
>machines are horribly obsolete today, and the vast majority of them have  been
>scrapped!  Also most of these old clunkers are only found in the more
>technologically advanced countries, because the 3rd world countries didn't
>start
>to get computers in any significant numbers until after the time of the old
>floppy based machines.

FYI - there are a lot of organizations that take any computer they can -
regardless of age - and refurb it and ship it to 3rd world countries so that
some people can simply _have_ a computer. Doesn't matter that it's 10 or 15
years old - as long as it runs and runs well. They'll find a configuration that
will run on it.

Granted, most of such computer do meet the trash can; but they are out there
and
should not be discounted.

$0.02

Ben