On Jan 7, 2011, at 5:00 PM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:

> I was told there is an issue with mac and the GPL and LGPL licensing. not
> sure what exactly though.

Some quick reading shows the issue is not at all clear. For example, the
Wesnoth community has debated this in depth, but the ultimate result is that
Wesnoth is currently available in the App Store (for iOS), and even charges a
small fee. (Just as Fabian Rodriguez suggested earlier in this thread.)

An article on their community discussion is here:
http://lwn.net/Articles/396535/

If you have iTunes, you can see the app store page for Wesnoth here:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battle-for-wesnoth/id340691963?mt=8

Thus, it does not appear that Apple would block LibO because of our LGPL
license (Wesnoth is GPL v2). The FSF is very unhappy with the App Store, but
this does not appear to be a dealbreaker if we wish to go ahead with it.

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
bho...@mac.com
646-464-2314 (Eastern)