On 3/9/11 9:04 AM, James Wilde wrote:
On Mar 9, 2011, at 08:50 , James Wilde wrote:

On Mar 9, 2011, at 04:05 , NoOp wrote:

Of late there are multiple posts on the users list regarding mail list
subscribe and unsubscribe issues.

<snip>

Florian points out an issue with mailman:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss/226
<quote>
We use mlmmj for good reasons.
Mailman has a lot of options and the luxury of a web interface, but it's
a total mess for moderators. You have one password per list for all
moderators, and moderation via e-mail is a pain.
</quote>
Just re-read the msg from Florian quoted above, and the bit NoOp filtered out
is:

<quote>
That being said, the only viable alternative for the moment was mlmmj
(Majordomo is legacy, Smartlist is procmail-based, ezmlm is qmail-only;
maybe Sympa is an alternative). So, at the moment, I can't do much about
it. Mailman would be great if we didn't need to moderate.

Florian
</quote>

This is significant, since, as we are agreed, the only valid reason for
moderators, given their limited powers, is, in fact, being able to pass
unsubscribed messages.

One thing I omitted in my original reply was that a significant portion (don't
ask for a %age) of the moderated posts are from regular posters who for some
reason post from an address they have not registered.

//James
James I think that emails being sent from unregistered emails should be rejected, and the user either has to register, or use the email with which they registered.