On 2011-03-22 12:35, Italo Vignoli wrote:
> On 03/21/2011 11:44 PM, Steve Edmonds wrote:
>
>> As pointed out, it may not be possible to package fonts in the document
>> file because of the Open Document standard, although I would have though
>> it would have been flexible enough to enable packaging of future items,
>> otherwise it would be limiting to development and future inclusion of
>> say media or as of yet unpopularised formats.
>
> Fonts used for editing documents must be installed at operating system
> level (Windows, MacOS, Linux) and therefore they would not be
> available even if embedded in documents. In addition fonts have
> different metrics on different operating systems.
This must be why I had to delete Arial from my mac and replace it with
Arial from my Suse.

What about with OOO2 where fonts were available for OOO exclusively
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Font-FAQ#How_do_I_add_fonts_to_OpenOffice.org_2_exclusively

Fonts were installed in ~/.openoffice.org2/user/fonts/
So I was assuming that a font packaged in an odt file would be placed
somewhere similar on opening the odt file and then available exclusively
to LO when editing the document. This is where I used to place my custom
fonts and doesn't require admin access for font installation.