From: Simos Xenitellis [mailto:simos.li...@googlemail.com]
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2011 16:31
To: discuss@documentfoundation.org
Subject: Availability of source code (Was: Re: OFF TOPIC about GPL enforcement
(Was: Re: [tdf-discuss] Re: [Libreoffice] Proposal to join Apache OpenOffice))

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 1:30 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
[ ... ]
> I have a copy of LibreOffice 3.3.2 installed on my computer.  I am looking
> for any place that I am offered access to the specific (or, indeed, any)
> source code for the LibreOffice 3.3.2 distribution that I have installed
> (en-win-x86).

Admittedly, I never checked the UI text as to where you can get the
source code.

To build LibreOffice, I would simply follow the instructions at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/How_to_build
which cover different operating systems.

[ ... ]

Your question is actually about whether we can make the Help→License
information more informative
so that users who would like to build LibreOffice, will get directed
to the How_to_build page.

[ ... ]

> If I follow the "Download the source code to build your own installer" (why
> does that have to be the reason?), I see a set of logs that tell me nothing.
> Under 3.4.1.1, 3.4.0.2, and 3.3.3.1 I see lists of 20-21 tar.bz2's.
>
> Well, maybe that qualifies.  Maybe not.  But what about for my 3.3.2?

Indeed, the 3.3.2 version is not showing, because there are newer
versions (3.4.1, 3.4.0 and 3.3.3) and the 3.3.2 does not fit to be in
that page.
You can get 3.3.2 files at
http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/
http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/src/

As I said earlier, if you really want to compile, you would go for the
'git repositories' and the instructions at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/How_to_build

> AND ABOUT THOSE DEPENDENCIES
>
> If any of the listed dependencies also have derivatives used, is there some
> place where, ahem, those modified sources are available in some suitable way?

See the dependencies at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/How_to_build#Dependencies

Simos