On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 10:30 -0400, Benjamin Horst wrote:
> I think Symphony has done a great job with its UI work--that's what I'd most
> like to see come under an open source license.
> - tabbed document interface lets you open multiple files in one window
> - a "dashboard" like the OOo / LibO splash screen, but you can open it from a
> button that appears on the tab bar. This fits into the dashboard
> functionality with potential integration into online services, as I have
> envisioned and previously described:
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org_Dashboard_Concept
> - formatting and other tools appear in a vertical column on the side of the
> main document window, which is one of the most-frequently requested UI
> features I've seen come through the OOo and LibO communities

That would be interesting indeed. But according to one of the IBM
engineers [*] they are only interested in contributing the C++ parts
(and strangely seem to want to keep using their own in-house ClearCase
setup for integration). The GUI (menu/toolbars and the tab windows)
stuff is all implemented using Expeditor [**] a giant (proprietary)
eclipse based java framework that embeds the C++ document views. So
hopefully they are also prepared to free Expeditor.

> Symphony also has some problems:
> - it's very slow to open the application initially
> - removed the Draw component
> - I think (?) it's even more Java-dependent than OOo ever was

Yes, it includes a JVM (IBM's proprietary J9 one) and most of the
Eclipse framework for the GUI stuff.

I have seen some questions on what exactly it is that is being offered,
but nobody from IBM has replied with any specifics yet.

Cheers,

Mark

[*]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201107.mbox/%