On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Jonathan Aquilina
<eagles051...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16/05/2012 08:18, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Marc Paré<m...@marcpare.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I need to work out a short note about use of LibreOffice in an academic
>>> environment. What would some of you, who are using LibreOffice, consider
>>> necessary to use LibreOffice in an academic setting.
>>>
>>> I am not looking for a "wish-list", but a list of any extensions/add-ons
>>> LibreOffice that are available right now. Is LibreOffice sufficient as
>>> is,
>>> or do any of you have any suggestions of add-ons that are really needed
>>> for
>>> such a setting as a college/university/academic environment?
>>>
>> I think that LibreOffice, and specifically LibreOffice Writer, is
>> quite good in writing essays.
>> You can use page and paragraph styles in order to create a structured
>> document.
>> The documentation has more information about this, or see
>> http://simos.info/blog/archives/651
>> Actually this is very important, because the proper use of styles can
>> help you manage big documents.
>>
>> You can use math equations as in
>> http://www.libreoffice.org/features/math/ so no third-party tool is
>> required.
>>
>> You can manage your bibliography with Zotero (Firefox Add-on), which
>> has a feature to export to LibreOffice.
>>
>> Simos
>>
> Simos what about citation of sources and bibliographies, as well as
> appendices for lets say a thesis?

You can cite your bibliography in the document using 'Insert→citation".

There are more bibliography tools, if you are interested to test them out,
JabRef, http://jabref.sourceforge.net/
Mendeley, http://www.mendeley.com/ (+document management, closed source).

Regarding appendices, see
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@global.libreoffice.org/msg14422.html

I wonder if there is a document on the LibreOffice Wiki about all these.
That is, a document that explains how to use LibreOffice Writer for
academic work.

Simos