2012/8/13 Tony Pursell <a...@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk>:
> Florian,
>
> On 13 August 2012 02:21, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <and...@pitonyak.org>wrote:
>

>> I was not aware that any list existed that did not use "reply mangling" so
>> that the reply (by default) went back to the list.... Will be interested to
>> see what occurs.
>>

>> On 08/12/2012 12:26 PM, Florian Effenberger wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> this is to inform you that the reply settings on this list have changed
>>> (so-called "Reply to mangling" has been disabled).
>>>
>>> So far, e-mails had set a reply-to the mailing list address. In other
>>> words, with any e-mail client, replies to e-mails on the list were
>>> automatically sent directly to the list.
>>>
>>> In the past, this lead to two major problems:
>>>
>>> 1. Several times, people have sent direct replies to the public list,
>>> where deleting them is nearly impossible. I remember at least one case
>>> where confidential information has been sent out that caused lots of
>>> worries for the sender and his employer. This happened because people hit
>>> "reply" and thought it would reply to the sender only.
>>>
>>> 2. I have heard complaints in the past from people, stating that working
>>> with the non-developer lists of LibreOffice is a pain for them, because of
>>> reply-to mangling, resulting in a lack of communication. This also led to
>>> the fact that numerous tasks were done by the same people, who needed to
>>> spend more and more time, instead of sharing the work burden with others.
>>> While I do not fully believe this argument, there's just one way to find
>>> out...
>>>
>>> Therefore, I have applied a change:
>>>
>>> Replies to e-mails from the list now only go to the original sender. You
>>> either need to use the "reply to all" feature of your e-mail program, or -
>>> preferably - the "reply to list"/"reply to group" feature, which will
>>> direct replies directly to the list.
>>>
>>> This is common practice on most mailing lists, and even the default
>>> setting for our mailing list software, so we did not re-invent the wheel
>>> here. Those seeking for details should have a look at
>>> http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>>>
>>> I know we had numerous discussions on this topic in the past, but the
>>> outcome was that roughly 50% were for this change, and 50% refused it, so I
>>> am really sitting between two chairs here, for which I beg for your
>>> understanding. On the one hand, those complaining the lists are unusable
>>> with reply-to mangling, on the other hand, those complaining the lists are
>>> unusable without reply-to mangling. Unfortunately, combining those two,
>>> even on a per-recipient basis, is not possible, so they are mutually
>>> exclusive to each other.
>>>
>>> In order to find out the real impact, I simply changed the setting, and
>>> again, I beg for your understanding.
>>>
>>> Do not worry: The mailing lists are for the community, so it's the
>>> community deciding how they should work. What I'd like to ask all of you is
> [...]
I use Gmail too and it seems like you don't have to cut and paste
anything. Seems to be OK to leave the address in ”CC: and to leave
””To:” empty. That's what I'm doing right now, hope it works…

So I click ”Reply to all” (which requires a click more than just
replying), then I delete everything in ”To:”, write my message and hit
”Send”. Not very quick, though. I want the old behaviour back. There
is no way to idiot proof anyway.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ