On Sun, 19 May 2024 14:05:32 -0700
Kent Borg <kentb...@borg.org> wrote:

> I looked back on my notes for things I had installed that included
> the letters "zfs" in their names and I removed them and apt quit
> complaining.

You also should look for any SPL packages. Likely you installed
standalone ZFS on Linux at some point instead of using Debian's own
packages and that's why the conflict.

> File systems should work, before being clever and having cool
> features their primary requirement is to /work/.

ZFS does work. It works better than any other enterprise class
filesystem I've ever worked with including XFS, JFS2 and AdvFS. But
that's the thing: it's not a "simple" filesystem. It has hardware
requirements that, if not met, will cause problems. One of the most
common unmet requirements is that all consumer storage, including SD
cards, lies about write commits. That is, they all confirm to the OS
that they have committed writes when they haven't actually committed
those writes. You *will* lose data if you use ZFS on this kind of
storage.

--