Kent Borg wrote:
> The most intriguing btrfs, zfs, etc., feature that I have never played with
> is the ability to do snapshots. But that is also a scary feature, allowing
> me to have parallel universes, each complete in itself? And what happens
> when I get confused (or for some other reason) start making changes in more
> than one CoW snapshot?

You can't! They are read only. Great for consistent backups.

In ZFS, you can promote a snapshot to being the True State of
affairs, which rolls the system back to that consistent state.

Or you can send the snapshot off somewhere else, where it can be
promoted into being True State under another name.

In my experience, the most likely thing you'll do with a
snapshot (other than ignore it) is copy off the state of a
particular file or directory back into the real world.

-dsr-