On 5/22/24 12:51, Dan Ritter wrote:
Kent Borg wrote:
The most intriguing btrfs, zfs, etc., feature that I have never played with
is the ability to do snapshots. But that is also a scary feature, allowing
me to have parallel universes, each complete in itself? And what happens
when I get confused (or for some other reason) start making changes in more
than one CoW snapshot?
You can't! They are read only. Great for consistent backups.

Sensible of ZFS.

But I thought btrfs *did* allow CoW snapshots, and nested snapshots, and it seemed to me plenty of other footguns. I've never played with it, the fact that for the longest time btrfs' fsck didn't exist or was considered experimental or some such, was one of the things that always scared me off.

-kb, the Kent who is scared of some things.