There's a better explanation at the jQuery home page, but in a nutshell:

jQuery detects your previously defined $ function and executes some additional logic. The only difference is that $('hello') will now try it by tag name and then by id. The only truly ambiguous case is if you currently have an id that also matches a tag in your document, for example $('address'). This should be rare so if it does come up it shouldn't be difficult to fix.

Now, I've had other collisions with some of the plugins, namely interface. I have prototypes for Array and Number objects and there seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding there. In my opinion this is a bug in interface, but we'll see.

cheers
Brito