The recent increase in questions about form serialization and form
submission makes me wonder the following about why the form plugin is
not used more:

1.  Is it not meeting your needs?
2.  Did you not know it exists?
3.  Do you prefer not to use plugins?
4.  Something else?

I also wonder if its 3 methods should just be added to core.  It's
been pointed out that core's serialize method is somewhat lacking.
The form plugin's serialize method handles every case that I've seen
questioned on this list.  Unfortunately, the two serialize methods
differ in their return types which probably adds more confusion.  But
rather than beef up core's serialize method why not converge the two
now and eliminate this confusion?

My personal preference would be to move the form plugin methods into
core, remove core's existing serialize method and introduce a
"serializeToString" (or something like that) that has a string return
type in the form of "name=value&name=value".  All this would increase
the size of core, but only by 2k before packing.

I'd love to hear opinions on this.

Mike