Paul McLanahan wrote:
> I like having full control over the platform. I
> like being able to take my code and go home if the project wants to go
> in another direction.  I like to be able to propose and submit code to
> my platform of choice. And I really like knowing that the whims of an
> executive board can't make me change my code.

What do you mean by this? Take your code and go home? I don't understand
what you mean. The developers of CFML are very tied into their
community. I don't know of any situation where they've made a change to
a version and old code broke. With the exception of  version 5 to
version 6, since that was a complete rewrite of the core language. Even
some functions that have been deprecated (like ParameterExists)  still
work.
> Another reason I don't like CF is the actual code.  It just feels like
> you're not coding.
When I first saw the language I thought the same thing. But I quickly
got over myself. It's coding and it's not kiddy-coding either. Check out
some of the code over at CFLib.org, or check out some of the open-source
projects taking place at RIAForge.org.
Speaking about personal preference though, I don't like the way that C++
style object notation that PHP uses (read: obj=>myMethod()). I much
prefer the dot notation (read: obj.myMethod()). So there's my personal
preference.

> Writing PHP is utilitarian in that you can get in and get out
> easily and it just works.
Uh... I can do the same thing in CF (or BD, etc.)
> This is certainly nothing against the CF devs here.  I know that CF is
> very much available, easy, powerful, etc., etc..
I appreciate that attitude. :o)
> But, I'm just gun-shy
> about devoting so much of my time to a platform over which I can exert
> no control.

I still don't really understand what you mean by this.

Cheers,
Chris