I think the two most confusing and frustrating things for jQuery beginners
(speaking as one myself) are these:

1) Needing to use the $() operator in every statement, even if you're
referring to a variable which you got from a jQuery call in the first place,
as SRobertJames has mentioned (
http://www.nabble.com/this-verus-%28this%29-tf2810909.html ).

2) Not being able to use standard DOM methods on elements returned by a
jQuery call, even if you reduce it to one with an #id specification or an
eq(0). I wasn't aware of get(0) before, and this made me feel like I had to
learn an entire new language, quirks and all, to take advantage of jQuery's
features.

Please don't take this as snarky. I've really enjoyed working with the
library, and I'm trying to be helpful.