Okay, so Mike and Blair got back to you before I could, but I'm going to answer anyway.

They're right, of course, that you need to return false, because you want to stop the default action.

One of the great things about jQuery is that it lets you easily separate behavior from content. So I would suggest pulling the onclick handler out of the input. Here is what it would look like with the script in the <head>, but ideally you should put it in another file and include it the same way you include jquery.js:

<head>
<script src="scripts/jquery.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">
$(document).ready(function() {
  $('#submit-member').click(function() {
    var username = $(this).prev().val();
    $("#member_info").html(username);
    return false;

</script>
</head>

  <form name="find_member" action="" method=GET>
    <input type="text" size="30" name="username">
<input type="submit" id="submit-member" size="30" value="Find by Username">
  </form>

You should also put DTD, etc. in there. I'm just taking shortcuts for the sake of brevity.

--Karl
Karl Swedberg
www.englishrules.com
www.learningjquery.com