This is more philosophical than anything, but I was just looking over the
metadata, metaobjects and validation plugin and I keep coming back to a
question of what is the least of all the evils.

--  If I add metadata to a "class" attribute, I risk messing with CSS -
classes are for styles.
--  If I put metadata in a script tag, it adds weight to the page and the
markup is not as clean.
--  If I use metaobjects, the resulting document is XHTML compliant but
there is a lot of extra coding involved and it increases the size of the
initial download, especially if used for validating long complex forms.

The best solution to me would be to add an attibute to the elements I want
validated called (wait for it...) "validate".  The document isn't XHTML
compliant but the validate element doesn't conflict with anything in the DOM
and all browsers are going to ignore this markup because they have to have
to handle bad code elegantly.  Look at myspace for your example ;)

So weigh in.  Given the drawbacks of each method, which feels like the right
one?