Hi,

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 08:13:25 -0500
hugo.tava...@slcu.cam.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi Toby,
>
> I don't think I'll make it on time for this discussion. But would
> just like to leave a few points about the idea of having the
> exercises on a document separately from the course materials:
>
> 1) During  delivery it's nice that one can just project the page with
> exercises without the distraction of the rest of the materials on the
> screen. 2) For development it also means that one can change the
> exercises without touching the materials,  allowing for trainers to
> more easily adapt the exercises depending on the audience, add extra
> exercises, etc. 3) Perhaps by having all the exercises together in a
> document could help to see a "narrative" in the lesson, helping to
> contextualise what is being learned as one moves along.
>
> Would be curious to know what others will think about it.

I totally agree with your points, and I in fact do this. I have a set
of slides which consist on:

i) One slide with every section title and a few bullets introducing
the section (in a la Overview section manner)
ii) More slides, with a different background color (dark green in my
case), with one exercise on each one. This, as you mention, presents the
exercise distraction-free and the background clearly states that it is
an exercise.

When exercise time I just swap the terminal / jupyter  with the slides.

I saw an instructor (thanks JC Leyder!) do this in the first workshop I
organized years ago and I got totally sold by the concept!

Cheers,

IƱigo