We have started teaching a modified version of the R DC curriculum that teaches
Git instead of SQL (because that seems to be more relevant to the majority of
our audience). We rely entirely on the RStudio git GUI for this. Although that
is a pretty limited interface but not having to learn an additional tool (or
command line usage) helps to make git more accessible. Another change we have
made is that we don't teach git as a separate lesson. There is a brief
introduction to git but the majority of it is taught by demonstrating its use
throughout the R part of the course. Based on feedback from the learners this
has helped to reduce confusion and made git more accessible. Admittedly, the
git part of the course covers only the very basics but the hope is that it will
get a larger proportion of the learners to actually use git. I don't have any
hard data on this but based on what they say immediately after the course, the
proportion of participants who are considering using git certainly seems to be
higher than after an SWC course that uses the standard git module.

Cheers,
Peter

Dr Peter Humburg

Statistician