On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:22:08, David Malouf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Since I'm about to give a talk on this topic on Friday, it has been
> on my mind a lot. I saw Chris' post on facebook questioning the very
> value of Patterns themselves and I often question them too.

Wait, so why are you giving a talk on something you don't believe in?
I'm confused.

Do you have a link to Chris's facebook question? I seem to have missed it.

> Question: Has anyone spoken to people in the Architecture world and
> about their thoughts on Patterns. We seem to admire Alexander, but do
> they? And how are they using them if at all?

Yes, I have. He is not popular among most architects. His designs are
not fashionable now, for example, and they don't generally use his
patterns. He is a prophet without honor in his own land, so to speak,
although some architects I've spoken to do like the idea of patterns
but don't like his specific patterns.

When you say "we seem to admire Alexander" what does that mean
exactly? Who are we are what does it mean to "seem to admire" someone?

> I guess when it doubt go back to the source, no?

No  :^)

     --xian

--
Christian Crumlish  http://xianlandia.com