David asked:
> Question: Has anyone spoken to people in the Architecture world and
> about their thoughts on Patterns. We seem to admire Alexander, but do
> they? And how are they using them if at all?

I recently used a quote from Brand's book to challenge IAs to think about
combining design patterns and process patterns. The quote speaks of a
collection of architectural design patterns, put together by some New York
architects:

"in New York State, architects [..] have developed a database on roof design
and performance. The database tracks a growing number of the state's 10,000
buildings, recording variables of location, design conditions, specified
components, testing results, and the history of problems and their solutions.
By correlating design information with performance problems, the architects
identify patterns of success and failure."
(the slides for that EuroIA presentation, "Processes + Patterns - best
practices on steroids" - with the challenge for IAs on slide 60&61 - are on
Slideshare: http://www.slideshare.net/pboersma/processes-patterns. Comments are
welcome there or on the post on my blog:
http://www.peterboersma.com/blog/2007/09/processes-patterns-euroia-2007.html or
here)

I also seem to remember from Stewart Brand's "How Buildings Learn" (but can't
find the right page; he references Alexander a lot!) that most architects now
hate Alexanders work or don't know it, and only a handful appreciate it and
follow or expand it.
Another quote from "How Buildings Learn" says something about how willing
architects are to learn from what works and what doesn't:
'I recall asking one architect what he learned from his earlier buildings. "Oh,
you never go back!" he explained, "It's too discouraging." [..] In a remarkable
study of fifty-eight new business buildings near London, researchers found that
in only one case in ten did the architect ever return to the building - and
then with no interest in evaluation.' (page 66)
I have little hope that architects maintain pattern libraries...

Peter
--
Peter Boersma | Senior Interaction Designer | Info.nl
http://www.peterboersma.com/blog | http://www.info.nl