Kevin, Anne,

  Thanks for your comments. I think you get my point. This article has
nothing to do with IxD.

  It surprises me immensely to find readers on THIS list missing the
central point of my article. When I refer to "design engineers" I am NOT
referring to designers of human-facing form and behavior. Design
engineers, as you two see, design code, not interaction.

  It is similarly important to understand that design engineers are not
better or worse than production engineers. They just have different
goals.

  Building software is a larger undertaking than most people give it
credit for. It's large enough to require a LOT of design. The code needs
to be designed just as much as the human face needs to be designed. In
the past, software construction has been hampered by the lack of
human-facing design. Today, we do a much better job of designing the
human face, but all too frequently the human-facing design isn't built
correctly or well because the code is poorly designed, or not designed
at all.

  I am sorry now that we decided to publish this article in two parts.
I'll see if I can get the second part posted to this list.

  Thanx,
  Alan

cooper | Product Design for a Digital World
Alan Cooper
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | www.cooper.com
All information in this message is proprietary & confidential.
"There is no country with a military so powerful, an economy so strong,
and a culture so great that its politicians cannot pull it down." -
Donald Gilbert Carpenter