On Nov 4, 2007, at 6:39 PM, KS Wang wrote:

> Paper! ... Good for drafting out, materialising and visualising the
> ideas I have
> in mind, before moving on the the standards like Visio, Omni Graffe

Paper is not a prototyping tool. It's a design tool. It's a sketching
tool. It's a way to get ideas directly from one's brain into the
world with as little information loss as possible. But it's not a
prototyping tool. Paper prototyping is nothing more than iterative
design to help people get the ball rolling and to keep things at a
level of manageable, inexpensive and iterative before getting to
brass tacks with real, pixel precise mockups and a true product
prototype.

Also, I've been really trying my best to avoid responding to this
thread as I know I'll just upset folks, but I can' t resist anymore...

The fact that Visio seems to be a "legitimate" tool in the field just
makes me want to cry. I mean, would you create a scale model if you
were building the original iPod out of PlayDough to show to the guy
who signs the checks what the design will be? Or Legos for that matter?

And someone mentioned PowerPoint? Are you kidding?

XHTML+CSS, Javascript, Fireworks, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash
ActionScript, etc. This is what our products are built using, so it's
high time those in the field who to call themselves "designers" stop
avoiding learning how to build prototypes using real technology

Really. Just stop it. The tools are not that hard. It's almost 2008.
It's time to evolve already.

</rant>

--
Andrei Herasimchuk