Miguel,

Can you provide a little more detail on what the purpose of the test is?

If you are doing "usability testing of software" such as watching tasks, and
are interested in the detailed interaction, you are probably headed down the
right track and Barbara's recommended tools are great.

However, if you're looking for the higher-level behaviors of using the
device in a natural social/physical context there are other more appropriate
methods/tools.

Also, there is a growing trend towards not using video camcorders in general
for usability testing. Increasingly people are using screen capture
utilities paired with audio recorders (and sometimes a web-cam in addition).
This can still get a lot of usability data, but be a lot less cumbersome and
less stressful for the user since they don't have a video camera in their
face. Also works better for remote testing. I'm not sure if software like
this is available on many mobile devices.

Cheers,
Jeff

On 11/6/07, Barbara Ballard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 11/6/07, Miguel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Interesting Barbara, I saw your slides and son I was looking for Elmo
> > cameras :-)
> >
> > As you have tried them, Can you say that the cameras are able to capture
> the
> > mobile screen in details, with good quality?
> >

> Scott Weiss can probably articulate Elmo benefits better; in my
> experience they are good for flat screens (candy bar phones but not
> clamshells) and they inhibit natural use of the phone. The camera
> quality is plenty good for usability work. I've used them for
> (surprise!) presentation work.
>
> --
> Barbara Ballard
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 1-785-838-3003

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Axup, Ph.D.
Principal Consultant, Mobile Community Design Consulting, San Diego

Research:    Mobile Group Research Methods, Social Networks, Group Usability
E-mail:        axup <at> userdesign.com
Blog:           http://mobilecommunitydesign.com
Moblog:       http://memeaddict.blogspot.com

"Designers mine the raw bits of tomorrow. They shape them for the present
day." - Bruce Sterling