I have used them in the past, but only when time & resources were
abundant. One weakness is the effort it takes to develop and verify
them properly. Also, getting those personas to become a part of daily
work for engineers and others can be a challenge. But they were
helpful in educating upper management about UCD in general.

We're in an agile development environment now - our team discussed
using personas, but that's as far as it went. Instead we've relied
heavily on interviews, observation & usability testing, all with
really lightweight documentation and lots of verbal reports back to
team members.

Jeff