Thanks for your comments and suggestions. It has been a very revealing
weekend for me reading through all the links that you all have shared.
The article "Sustainable Interaction Design: Invention & Disposal,
Renewal & Reuse" by Eli Blevis is very inspiring.

Mike Jones from Smart Design also recommended a few reading
opportunities:
1. Cradle to Cradle by William McDonough & Michael Braungart
2. Persuasive Technology: Using Computers to Change What We Think and
Do by BJ Fogg
3. Shaping Things by Bruce Sterling
4. Natural Capitalism by Paul Hawken, Amory B Lovins & L Hunter
Lovins

Besides, there are a few videos from TED which are pretty
interesting.
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/74
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/104
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/2

After reading the links that you%u2019ve shared, I started to rethink
about my previous leads.
No doubts, more and more people are paying attention in this area.
Engineers, scientists, academics, governments, designers creating new
technologies, new systems, new materials, new regulations, new
products everyday trying to make the earth greener.

But, to make it works we need the participation from the people
(user). Now products designs are emerging into human centered design.
If we make a little shift in this, and achieve sustainability not
through material or manufacturing but through behaviour of people
around products, what will happen?

If we could have the ability to make a little change on people
behaviour, maybe we could stimulate the people by influencing them
rather than taking over control. For example the 2-stage-toilet-flush
system gives people the choice of flushing. They are not forced but
educated indirectly. Does this approach works? How can it be
implemented more in design to achieve sustainability?

It returns to my first few questions, what makes people participate
more in sustainability?  Is it feedback?

I am not sure where am I heading with all these questions. I would
like to find a way to achieve environmental sustainability through
interaction design approaches.

http://gamma.ixda.org/discuss?post=23145